Thursday, September 6, 2012

One to one

The new school year has started, and right now since all my homework is done (that's a lie, I have none... "but still it's good.") I am going to blog.... because I am feeling disconnected from my blogosphere... you know because it's gigantic.

So now I am going to rant on a school related topic that is already driving me nuts. This is going to be a great last year.

Our school has this nifty (or as you will see not so much) one to one laptop set up. Each student has his or her own laptop to use for school. They can go home with us too. But you see... these laptops are paraplegic, they've been shot in the back of the head by The County. They can't go anywhere on the internet... everything is blocked... even research websites. The other day in my allied health science class we were looking up websites to make cartoons and half of them were blocked... how is that useful?

The thing that really gets me though is the fact that email is blocked... granted I spent 99% of my time on gmail last year... but that was on chat. I still used the email for reasonable purposes like telling my mom about club meetings after school I had forgotten about, or that I was SICK and she needed to come get me. All classes pretty much incorporate group projects at least a couple times throughout the semester... how are we supposed to communicate?............. The school has given us email addresses that work like the teacher given ones, but they cannot receive or send emails from addresses that are not created by The County.

Another thing... sorry this is getting boring... you can stop reading if you want... but I am going to keep typing... don't actually stop reading... it will hurt my feelings... We can't print at home! Seriously? If I try to plug my laptop into my home printer, via USB, the computer tells me I cannot add it to my 'print library' because I am not a print admin.... WHAT. I don't understand why this is a function that was blocked. Are we supposed to wait and print papers and projects the day of in the library?... plus color printing cost 10 cents a page in the library, I should be allowed to do it for free at home! Stupid stupid stupid.

1 comment:

  1. "Another thing... sorry this is getting boring... you can stop reading if you want... but I am going to keep typing... don't actually stop reading... it will hurt my feelings..."

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete