Friday, April 29, 2011

New Orleans

I absolutely loved New Orleans! It is so beautiful and warm. A nice relief from the long winter we just went through, though it has been warming up for awhile. Anyway, I loved how every corner you walk around there is someone playing music.

One of the most interesting things is the kind of people that walk by on the street. We arrived on Easter Sunday so of course people were meandering around in their "Sunday Best". Whatever that means to the people of NOLA. There were hats galore! I have never seen so many, so extravagant hats in my life. Some made completely of multicolored feathers, others with complete castle scenes made out of legos.

Oh and we happened upon the gay parade. I have no more to say on that subject.

One of my favorite things was the Katrina exhibit in the local museum. I was completely captivated the whole time, I think I caught myself with my mouth gaping open once. There were so many heroic stories. One woman and her daughter were trapped in their attic and hacked a way out with an axe, and then saved their neighbors by jumping roofs and hacking a hole in their attics as well. Another was of a man who built a boat and the day after the storm he saved a neighbor that had been clinging to a tree for 10 hours after his house had been destroyed. It was amazing.

I loved the whole trip, it was a load of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment